生活中其實有許多慣用語的使用,你可能有過這種經驗,明明英文底子沒有很差,一旦跟外國人聊天或是看國外影集中的對話就是聽不太懂。對一個非英文為母語的人來說,因俚語或慣用語這種學校比較少教,故會對他們有點陌生,畢竟生活中真實的英文對話不像課本那麼制式~
= be unable to decide on something
‧ sit on the fence 中立 (不選邊站)
Ex: I'm still on the fence about which school I should go to.(我仍無法做決定我應該要去哪間學校。)
= to take control of your emotions
Ex: I know you are upset now. Stop crying and pull yourself together. (我知道你現在很難過。別哭了,振作點! )
= be afraid of doing something that you’ve planned to do
cold除了指「冷」之外,也有「洩氣的;掃興」之意,而cold feet也用來指「害怕;膽怯」而臨陣退縮,並不是指「腳冷」喔!
Ex: I wanted to go bungee jumping last week, but I got cold feet. (我上週想去玩高空彈跳,但我嚇到退縮了。)
= to be overwhelmed with something
Ex: This week will be super hectic as I have a lot on my plate. (我這星期會炸忙,因為我有超多事要處理。)
= to betray someone for one's own personal gain
Ex: My colleague threw me under the bus in order to gain the opportunity for promotion. (為了得到升遷機會,我同事將我推下水)
= not feeling good = feel sick
Ex: Daisy is feeling a little under the weather, so she can’t come to work today. (黛西有點不舒服,所以他今天不會來上班。)
= do something without thinking while in an intense emotional state
Ex: I'm so sorry that I said those things in the heat of the moment; they were rude. (我感到很抱歉我一時之氣說出那些無禮的話。)
Ex: It’s always easier said than done. Show me some results instead of just talking about them. (說總比做來得容易,讓我看看你的成果而不是只是一直光用說的。)
-
以上幫大家整理出英文學習者必須知道的8句英文慣用語,讓你說起英文更加道地,聽起來既不死板也不制式!
喜歡這篇文章嗎? 歡迎收藏、踴躍幫我們分享出去~
The jet lag made me feel under the weather for several days.
時差感讓我不舒服了好幾天。
I'm still on the fence about which school I should go to.
我仍無法做決定我應該要去哪間學校。
I know you are upset now. Stop crying and pull yourself together.
我知道你現在很難過。別哭了,振作點!
I wanted to go bungee jumping last week, but I got cold feet.
我上週想去玩高空彈跳,但我嚇到退縮了。
This week will be super hectic as I have a lot on my plate.
我這星期會炸忙,因為我有超多事要處理。
My colleague threw me under the bus in order to gain the opportunity for promotion.
為了得到升遷機會,我同事將我推下水。
I'm so sorry that I said those things in the heat of the moment; they were rude.
我感到很抱歉我一時之氣說出那些無禮的話。
It's always easier said than done. Show me some results instead of just talking about them.
說總比做來得容易,讓我看看你的成果而不是只是一直光用說的。