慣用語
J = Jeff S = Susan
J: It’s final.
S: What?
J: I couldn’t get the loan.
S: Really?
J: My uncle’s afraid that our company is going to go belly up.
S: Come on, Jeff. Don’t let it get you down too much. There’s still hope.
J: It would take a miracle at this point.
S: I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
go belly up
belly 指「肚子」或「胃」。go belly up 字面上的意思是「變得腹部朝上」,這個俚語的說法源自於魚死後會翻肚漂浮,所以引申為公司「倒閉、破產」或計畫「失敗、垮掉」之意。
• That company went belly up after an insider trading scandal.
那家公司在一樁內線交易的醜聞過後就倒閉了。
• Our vacation plans went belly up due to the approaching typhoon.
我們的度假計畫因為即將來襲的颱風而泡湯了。
How soon can you pay off the loan?
你的貸款多久才能還清?
“I’m sorry, but the book is out on loan,” said the librarian.
圖書館管理員說:『很抱歉,這本書被借走了。』
Could you loan me your car for the weekend?
週末你的車可以借我用嗎?
Can you loan me some money?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you lend me some money?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you loan some money to me?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you lend some money to me?
能借我一些錢嗎?
The report really got Ed down.
這則報導真的讓艾德情緒低落。
I have an interview tomorrow. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.
我明天有一個面試。請祝我好運吧。
More than 50% of new companies will go under during their first year.
有超過半數的新公司會在成立的第一年倒閉。
If you make another mistake, you're out of a job.
如果你再犯錯,就會沒有工作了。
Jamie managed to contact the busy manager in that company.
傑米成功聯絡到了那家公司業務很繁忙的經理了。
I knew you would end up borrowing money from me.
我就知道你最後還是會跟我借錢。