The new temp isn’t cutting the mustard. He mixed up some orders, so we have to work overtime to fix it. 新來的臨時僱員不如預期。他把一些訂單弄錯了,所以我們不得不加班來解決這事。
temp [temp] n. 臨時僱員 mustard [ˈmʌstəd] n. 芥末 (not) cut the mustard (不)如所期待的那麼好 mix up sth 弄錯某物
Sorry to bail on you again, but they won’t let me leave until the bug is fixed. 很抱歉又放你鴿子,不過在問題修復之前,他們是不會讓我走的。
bail on sb 放某人鴿子
I offered overtime to cope with an increase in demand for our products. 我主動提出加班以應對我們產品需求量的增加。
cope with sth 處理某事
All this extra work is getting on top of me. I’ve been working overtime over the past two weeks. 所有這些額外工作都快讓我吃不消了。過去兩週我一直在加班。
get on top of sb 使某人吃不消
I have to put in extra hours today to tidy up some loose ends. 我今天得加班把未了結的部分處理好。
put in sth 投注時間或精力 tidy up sth 整理某物 loose ends 事情未了結的部分
The company pays us double when we work overtime. 我們加班時公司會付雙倍工資。
If I go to Chicago this Sunday, I won’t be back before Tuesday. Without me, the product department will be up a creek. 如果我本週日去芝加哥,週二前我回不來。我不在的話,產品部門會陷入困境。
be up a creek 處於困境
I have another engagement that can’t be moved on such short notice. 我有另一個工作預約,沒辦法在這麼短的時間內更改時間。
We have some back orders that need to be filled. 我們有一些積壓的訂單需要出貨。
back orders 積壓的訂單 fill [fɪl] v. 交付(訂貨);(按訂單)供應
I can’t work late again because of family commitments. 因為家裡還有些事要處理,我不能再加班了。
Our business is booming, but we don’t have enough people to do all the work. 我們生意發展迅速,但我們沒有足夠人手去做所有的工作。