篇章結構
The Dutch are famous for their dikes, cheese, wooden shoes, windmills, and unfortunately, two diseases named after them. One of these is a real disease. Dutch elm disease is caused by a fungus that infects and eventually kills elm trees. The disease caused great devastation to elms across Europe and North America in the mid- 1900s.
The other Dutch disease is not real. It is a term used for the past 50 years or so to describe what happens to countries that suddenly become rich due to the discovery of a valuable natural resource. __1__ The massive export of this valuable natural resource caused the local currency, the Dutch guilder, to grow in value, or appreciate. This made other Dutch products less competitive in the world market because they became more expensive and less desirable to other countries. __2__ Unemployment soared from one to five percent. This situation was named the Dutch disease.
I really appreciate this opportunity to speak to you.
我很感激能有機會跟諸位說幾句話。
I really appreciate having this opportunity to speak
to you.
我很感激能有機會跟諸位說幾句話。
I really appreciate your help.
我很感激你的幫忙。
I’m thankful for your help.
我很感激你的幫忙。
I’m grateful for your help.
我很感激你的幫忙。
John’s abilities were not fully appreciated by his
employer.
約翰的能力並未受到僱主充分賞識。
The US dollar keeps depreciating, while the Euro
keeps appreciating.
美元持續貶值,而歐元則持續升值。
A proper noun begins with a capital.
專有名詞要以大寫字母為首。
A proper noun begins with a capital letter.
專有名詞要以大寫字母為首。
Washington, D.C., is the capital of the United States.
華府是美國首都。
We need more capital to run this restaurant.
我們需要更多的資本來經營這家餐廳。
Capital punishment is a controversial issue in many countries.
在很多國家死刑是個爭議性很高的議題。
It is a blessing to be taught by Mr. Wang.
能被王老師教到是一種福氣。
John’s girlfriend ran away with his best friend a year ago, but he soon met a rich and beautiful girl. They’re planning to get married next week. It was indeed a blessing in disguise.
約翰的女友 1 年前跟他最好的朋友跑了,不過很快地他就遇到了一位多金又漂亮的美女。他們倆計劃下星期結婚。這真是因禍得福啊。
In this country, sovereign power lies with the
Parliament, which represent the people.
在這個國家,最高統治權落在代表人民的國會手中。
Vietnam used to be a colony, but now it is a sovereign
country.
越南過去是個殖民地,但現在是個主權獨立的國家。
Queen Elizabeth II has been the sovereign of the
United Kingdom since she was crowned in 1953.
伊麗莎白女王二世自 1953 年加冕以來,就一直是英國的女
王。
How soon can you pay off the loan?
你的貸款多久才能還清?
“I’m sorry, but the book is out on loan,” said the librarian.
圖書館管理員說:『很抱歉,這本書被借走了。』
Could you loan me your car for the weekend?
週末你的車可以借我用嗎?
Can you loan me some money?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you lend me some money?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you loan some money to me?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Can you lend some money to me?
能借我一些錢嗎?
Chad broke his mother’s vase by accident.
查德不小心打破他媽媽的花瓶。
Wayne’s heart broke into pieces when his wife left him.
當韋恩的老婆離開他時,他的心碎了。
The car broke down in the middle of nowhere.
這輛車子在荒郊野外拋錨了。
The thief broke into my house and stole a gold watch.
小偷闖入我家偷走了一只金錶。
He just broke the Olympic record for the men’s 100-meter dash.
他剛剛打破了男子 100 公尺短跑奧運紀錄。
Christina would never break the school rules.
克莉絲蒂娜絕不會違反校規。
The day was breaking when they parted.
他們分別時天正破曉。
Let’s take a break for ten minutes before we go back to work again.
我們休息 10 分鐘再繼續工作。
We found a break in the pipe.
我們發現水管有一道裂痕。
I met a guy by the name of John Smith.
我遇到一位名叫約翰.史密斯的人。
I met a guy named John Smith.
我遇到一位名叫約翰.史密斯的人。
I met a guy called John Smith.
我遇到一位名叫約翰.史密斯的人。
We named him Henry after his grandfather.
我們以他祖父之名將他命名為亨利。
He is named Henry after his grandfather.
我們以他祖父之名將他命名為亨利。
The novel interested me a lot. I want to read it again.
我對那本小說很感興趣。我想要再讀一遍。
I have no interest in music. I love dancing.
我對音樂沒興趣,我喜歡跳舞。
Playing computer games is Henry's main interest.
亨利最主要的嗜好是玩電腦遊戲。
Taylor was named after her mom's favorite singer.
泰勒是以她媽媽最喜歡的歌手來命名。
We had to wait an hour or so for the rescue team to arrive.
我們必須等大約一個鐘頭救難隊才會到。
Adults are responsible for their actions.
成年人要為自己的行為負責。
You should be responsible for what you've done.
你應該對自己做過的事負責。
Leo visited a museum named after a famous actor.
里歐參觀一間以一位知名影星命名的博物館。