讀取中

正在加載···

常春藤雜誌線上廣播自 2022/8/1 起,將免費提供部分文章內容,如需看完整內容,歡迎至文章下方查看數位訂閱制方案。
訂閱解鎖文章

揭祕! 無人認領之行李「歸宿」 Where Does Unclaimed Airline Luggage Go?

Where Does Unclaimed Airline Luggage Go?
7/25 解析英語

聽講解

 

聽朗讀

難度 收藏文章
揭祕! 無人認領之行李「歸宿」 Where Does Unclaimed Airline Luggage Go?
如果你曾經出國旅行過,你肯定看過旋轉無數次、有很 多乘客的行李在上面的行李輸送帶
>> 【111年學測英文試題講解】#5 篇章結構

篇章結構

        If you have ever traveled abroad, you’ve definitely seen a luggage carousel spinning around countless times with lots of passengers’ bags on it. __1__ The answer is no. There always seems to be a suitcase or two left behind spinning around on the carousel. Have you ever wondered what happens to these unclaimed bags?

        Sometimes flights are changed or delayed, which leaves little time for baggage handlers to move items from one plane to another. __2__ Actually, about 99.5% of all baggage is claimed by its rightful owners at the end of a flight. As for the other 0.5%, some 80-90% is located and sent on to waiting passengers within 48 hours. Airlines store unclaimed luggage for 60 days or more. Only one in 10,000 pieces of luggage is not eventually claimed by its owner.

        __3__ Some are given to charities or sold to salvage companies, like the Unclaimed Baggage Center. Located in Scottsboro, Alabama, USA, the center buys lost and unopened luggage from airlines. Contents are cleaned, sorted, and sold publicly at a huge warehouse. This warehouse is the ultimate location for those looking for true bargains.

        It’s better, of course, not to have one’s luggage lost in the first place. __4__ Here are a few steps you can take to make your suitcase stand out on the luggage carousel. First, label your luggage clearly both inside and outside. Make your baggage clearly visible by buying a color other than black, tying a ribbon to it, or using tape to help identify it immediately. This way, you can relax and have a safe flight without worrying about losing your luggage.

 

(A) Since many suitcases look alike, grabbing the wrong one is not unusual.
(B) The good news is that luggage almost always ends up with its proper owner.
(C) However, do all these pieces of baggage get claimed by their owners right after a flight?
(D) Still, with millions of checked pieces of luggage each year, what happens to those thousands that aren’t claimed?

 

答案:1. C   2. B.  3. D   4. A 

歡迎訂閱 Ivy Engrest 享全文閱讀,用行動支持優質內容。
每月解鎖 8 篇考題演練 + 6 篇文法、寫作、句型練習
創建專屬的單字、題目庫,隨時隨地都能高效複習!
>> 谷水潺潺、鳥鳴嚶嚶,療癒你心 The Healing Sounds of Nature

單字片語整理

Words in Use
tie
[taɪ]
vt. & vi. 綁;平手
n. 領帶;關係(常用複數);平手
ultimate
[ˋʌltəmɪt]
a. 最終的
n. 終極,極點
eventually
[ɪˋvɛntʃʊəlɪ]
adv. 終究,到頭來
content
[kənˋtɛnt]
n. 內容物(常用複數)
definitely
[ˋdɛfənɪtlɪ]
adv. 絕對,非常
countless
[ˋkaʊntlɪs]
a. 數不盡的
bargain
[ˋbɑrgɪn]
n. 很划算的東西(可數)
vi. 講價,討價還價
charity
[ˋtʃærətɪ]
n. 慈善(不可數);慈善機構(可數);慈善事業(不可數)
rightful
[ˋraɪtfəl]
a. 正確的;合法的(僅用於名詞前)
sorted
[ˈsɔːtɪd]
vt. 分類,整理
Practical Phrases
in the first place
 一開始

I didn’t say anything about fighting with Andy in the first place.
一開始我對於跟安迪吵架這件事隻字未提。

as for...
 至於⋯⋯

Everyone is going hiking today. As for me, I will stay home and listen to some music.
今天大家都會去健行。至於我,我會待在家裡聽一些音樂。

leave behind... / leave... behind
 遺留下⋯⋯

James mistakenly left his cellphone behind in the taxi.
詹姆士不小心把他的手機遺忘在計程車上了。

send on... (to...) / send... on (to...)
 轉寄⋯⋯(到⋯⋯)

The data will be sent on to our clients by the end of this month.
數據將會在本月底前轉發給我們的客戶。

stand out
 顯眼;突出

With purple hair, Dan stands out in a crowd.
頂著紫色的頭髮,阿丹在人群中很顯眼

other than...
 ⋯⋯除外(本身不包含在內)

內容皆出自《常春藤解析英語》與《常春藤生活英語》
2022/10/16 00:00 前購買即享
【雜誌訂閱】每天25分鐘,不只學英文,更擴展知識廣度!

回饋與建議

為了提供更好的閱讀體驗與學習感受,有任何建議或問題歡迎留言讓我們知道,感謝~
1000

學會了嗎?✋來答題得 熊贈點






作者

Bruce E. Bagnell
Bruce E. Bagnell
常春藤解析英語雜誌資深外籍教師,中英文流利,曾為台灣大學資深教授,與賴世雄老師為多年好友。