A Beacon of Culture with a Troubled Past
The British Museum is undoubtedly one of the most renowned museums in the world. It boasts a collection of over eight million objects that span two million years of history and culture. While millions of people visit the museum each year, attention has recently been drawn to its controversial acquisition of artifacts and its association with British colonialism.
The origins of the British Museum date back to 1753, when Sir Hans Sloane, an English physician and naturalist, passed away. In his will, Sloane bequeathed a massive collection, including books, manuscripts, coins, drawings, medals, plants, fossils, and antiquities, to his nation. The museum opened its doors to the public in 1759 in Montagu House in Bloomsbury, London, where the current building stands. The British Museum was the first national public museum in the world and was free for anyone studious and curious.
That little girl likes to boast about her brother’s abilities.
那個小女孩喜歡吹噓她哥哥的能力。
The small town boasts the best hotel in the world.
這小鎮以擁有世上最棒的飯店自豪。
When Justin told me how far he could run, I knew it was just an empty boast.
賈斯汀告訴我他可以跑多遠時,我知道他只是在瞎吹牛。
It is Sophie’s proud boast that she has been to every country in Europe.
蘇菲去過歐洲每一個國家這件事讓她引以為傲。
The acquisition of new knowledge enables you to keep pace with changing trends.
獲得新知可以使你跟上不斷在改變的潮流。
My parents' latest acquisitions are a dishwasher and a blender.
我父母親最近買了一臺洗碗機和果汁機。
The company's acquisition of Fuji Tech will help it compete in the software market.
該公司收購富士科技將有助他們在軟體市場上競爭。
If you are lucky, you can find some animal fossils on the beach.
你運氣夠好的話,在海灘上會找到一些動物化石。
The horseshoe crab is an example of a living fossil.
鱟是一個活化石的例子。
Don’t listen to Ricky; he’s just an old fossil.
別聽瑞奇的,他只是個老頑固。
Scientists recently discovered two new kinds of fossil plants.
科學家最近發現了兩種新的化石植物。
Many scientists are now looking for energy sources that can replace fossil fuels.
科學家目前正在尋找能替代化石燃料的能源。
I will arrive in New York tomorrow morning.
明早我將會抵達紐約。
I ’ll arrive in New York tomorrow morning.
明早我將會抵達紐約。
Nobody can question Stanley's will to win.
沒有人可以質疑史坦利的求勝意志。
You can't just ignore the rules at will.
你不能隨意忽略這些規定。
The man made his final will a month before he died.
這名男子在去世前一個月立下最後的遺囑。
My mother's antique table dates back to the early 1800s.
我老媽的古董桌可追溯至十九世紀初。
According to scientists, these fossils date back to 2000 BCE.
根據科學家的說法,這些化石可追溯至公元前兩千年。
Linda was completely unaware of the surprise birthday party we had in store for her.
琳達完全不知道我們會幫她辦一場驚喜生日派對。
This new shower gel consists of sea salt and other minerals.
這一新款沐浴乳的成分包括海鹽及其他礦物質。
An amazing 5,000 boxed lunches were given out to homeless people yesterday.
昨天有五千個餐盒被分發給街友,數量十分驚人。
In response to your letter dated July 1, we regret to say that we’ll have to cancel the deal.
茲回覆臺端 7 月 1 日的來信,我們很遺憾表示,我們不得不取消這個交易。