慣用語
H = Howard G = Gail
H: All right, let’s get the meeting started.
G: What was so urgent that we had to skip lunch?
H: Marketing needs a new report from us.
G: But we gave them one last week.
H: It doesn’t matter. Let’s just get to work. We need to cover a lot of ground today.
G: Great. I’ll just have to starve to death.
H: Here’s a mint. It’ll hold you until we take a break.

cover 的意思是「涵蓋,包括」,ground 指「範圍」。cover a lot of ground 是指報告、研究等「涉及的範圍很廣」。
• We need a week because we have a lot of ground to cover.
我們需要一星期,因為我們有許多議題要討論。
Jerry skipped lunch in order to get his work done.
傑瑞略過午餐沒吃以把工作做完。
Tom’s mother gave him a good spanking because he skipped class.
湯姆的媽媽因為他蹺課狠狠打了他的屁股。
The little girl gave a skip of joy when she got her new puppy.
當這個小女孩獲得她的新小狗時,她快樂地跳起來。
The final part of the tour sounded boring so we gave it a skip.
因為這趟旅程最後一段聽起來很無趣,所以我們跳過。
Don’t blame me for your misery.
不要把你的痛苦怪罪到我身上。
Don’t blame your misery on me.
不要把你的痛苦怪罪到我身上。
The authorities concerned believe that more than one person is to blame for the fire.
有關當局認為要為這場火災負責的人不只 1 個。
Jason felt upset to get the blame for the mistake.
傑森因為那個錯誤而被責備覺得很難過。
This company laid off 50 workers because it had been in the red for years.
這家公司因為已經虧損了好幾年,所以解僱了五十名員工。
You’re supposed to tighten your belt before getting a job.
在你找到工作前,應該勒緊褲帶,省吃儉用點。