



1. 省略 if —— 何秀華
凡表假設語氣的 if 子句中, 若有過去完成式助動詞 had,或表『萬一』的助動詞 should,或有 were 出現時,可將 had、should、were(何秀華)置主詞前,而將 if 省略。
had: If I had known it, I would have told John.
= Had I known it, I would have told John.
(如果我早知道的話,就會告訴約翰了。)should: If John should do it, I would punish him.
= Should John do it, I would punish him.
(萬一約翰做了這件事,我就會處罰他。)were: If I were you, I wouldn't do it.
= Were I you, I wouldn't do it.
(如果我是你,就不會做這件事。)
2. 時態不一致的假設
也就是 if 子句與過去事實相反,使用過去完成式;主要子句與現在事實相反,使用過去式助動詞。句型如下:
If + 主詞 + had + 過去分詞,主詞 + |
would could might should ought to |
+ 原形動詞 + now / today |
例: If I had met Jane five years ago, she might have been my wife now. (×)
→ If I had met Jane five years ago, she might be my wife now. (○)
(我若是在五年前認識珍的話,她現在可能就是我太太了。)
Grandma promised to teach me how to bake a cake.
奶奶承諾要教我烤蛋糕。
Grandma made a promise to teach me how to bake a cake.
奶奶承諾要教我烤蛋糕。
Luke promised Gina that he would quit smoking.
路克向吉娜保證他會戒菸。
A: Honey, I’m sorry. I can’t go to the beach with you tomorrow.
B: But you promised!
A:親愛的,對不起,我明天不能和你一起去海灘了。
B:可是你答應過的!
I don’t trust my boyfriend anymore because he keeps breaking his promises.
我不再信任我男友,因為他一直不守信用。
I helped Mom do the dishes after dinner.
晚餐後我幫老媽洗碗筷。
David looked so funny that I couldn’t help laughing.
大衛看起來好滑稽,我不禁笑了出來。
David looked so funny that I couldn’t help but laugh.
大衛看起來好滑稽,我不禁笑了出來。
Your advice was a great help.
你的建議非常有幫助。
Your advice was of great help.
你的建議非常有幫助。
Pat treated Nancy to dinner last night.
派特昨晚請南西吃飯。
The activity host treated the Nobel Prize winner with respect.
活動的主辦人對這位諾貝爾獎得主很尊敬。
Depression can be treated with medicine or counseling.
憂鬱症可以用藥物或心理諮商來治療。
It’s my treat today.
今天我請客。
It’s a real treat to go swimming on a hot summer day.
炎熱的夏天去游泳真是一大樂事。
If you break the rules, you will be punished.
你如果違反規則就會被處罰。
The king has ruled this kingdom for forty years.
國王統治這個國家 40 年了。
Taiwan was under Japanese rule for fifty years.
臺灣被日本統治過 50 年。
My father makes it a rule to get up early.
我爸爸有早起的習慣。
As a rule, I get up at eight in the morning.
通常我都是早上 8 點起床。
Tammy hoped Steven would take the hint and stop bothering her.
塔米希望史蒂芬識相點,別再煩她。
Emily glanced at her watch, hinting that she had to leave.
艾蜜莉看了一下錶,暗示她得走了。
Emily glanced at her watch, suggesting that she had to leave.
艾蜜莉看了一下錶,暗示她得走了。
Tom hinted that he might buy Jane a diamond ring for their anniversary.
湯姆暗示他可能會買一只鑽戒送給珍當作結婚週年紀念禮物。
Our general manager hinted at the possibility of opening a new branch next summer.
總經理暗示了來年夏天開設新分公司的可能性。
