Volleyball is one of the most popular sports in the world, but its history only stretches back to the close of the 19th century. It was invented in Massachusetts in 1895 by William G. Morgan of the famous Young Men’s Christian Association, or YMCA. Initially called mintonette, it gained its current name when a spectator commented that the players were “volleying” the ball over the net. Indeed, that is the point of the game: each team of six players has to hit a ball back and forth over a net with their hands before the ball touches the floor. Their aim is to get the ball to touch the court of the opposite team’s playing area. The team earns one point when they successfully do this. Each team is only allowed to touch the ball three times before it must be hit back to the other side.
Volleyball quickly became popular in the US, with people of all ages and sexes enjoying its simple rules and the fact that it could be played indoors. It quickly spread around the world, with American troops introducing it into Europe during the First World War. It was an unofficial event at the 1924 Olympics in Paris, but it did not become an official Olympic event until the Tokyo Games 40 years later. By this time, the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball, which standardized the rules for the sport, had been established.
Playing volleyball is great exercise; players jump up and down around 300 times every match. The same can be said about a closely connected sport: beach volleyball. This sun-drenched version of the game was first played in Hawaii in the 1910s. However, the modern two-player game originated in California in the 1920s. It became an Olympic sport in 1992. The game now has worldwide appeal, although it is more closely associated in the popular imagination with countries such as Brazil and Australia.
1. Which of the following facts about volleyball is true?（單選題）
(A) Its name was changed twice before it became volleyball.
(B) It was introduced to America by European soldiers.
(C) A volleyball game involves two teams.
(D) It originated from beach volleyball.
2. Please complete the following rules of volleyball.（填空）
- To score, a team must _____________________ⓐ_____________________.
- Each team can only ___________ⓑ___________ before they must hit the ball back to the other side.
3. Fill in the blanks with the information from the passage about volleyball and beach volleyball.（填空）
- It was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan.
- A team has _____❶_____ players.
- It officially became an Olympic sport in _____❷_____.
- The modern version arose in _____❸_____ in California.
- In modern beach volleyball, a team has two players.
- It officially became an Olympic sport in _____❹_____.
2. ⓐ get the ball to touch the court of the opposite team’s playing area ⓑ touch the ball three times
3. ❶ six ❷ 1964 ❸ the 1920s ❹ 1992