混合題型
Now that we’ve established that yams and sweet potatoes are entirely different from each other, let’s tackle the issue of why they are commonly mixed up. Especially in the United States and Canada, many people mistake sweet potatoes for yams. In other words, they think they are devouring yams but are actually consuming some variety of sweet potato. As it turns out, there are some historical reasons for this misconception, one of which dates back centuries to the time of the slave trade.
Yams have been grown in parts of Africa for ages and have been an important part of the diet there, but they were not grown in the United States. During the time when Europeans transported slaves to the Americas, enslaved Africans began eating some species of sweet potatoes that reminded them of their home. They referred to these sweet potatoes as “yam,” which was derived from the African word njam, meaning “to eat.”
The police car slowed down and pulled
up alongside the curb.
這輛警車放慢速度,並緊靠路邊停了下來。
The police car slowed down and pulled up alongside of the curb.
這輛警車放慢速度,並緊靠路邊停了下來。
A black limousine drew up alongside, and a man wearing a black suit and a pair of sunglasses stepped out.
一臺黑色禮車靠邊停下,一名身穿黑色西裝、帶著太陽眼鏡的男子走下車來。
You’ll get a 15% commission on everything you sell.
你所賣出的東西都可以抽成 15%。
Alex received a commission to build a memorial park.
艾力克斯被委託建造一座紀念公園。
The museum commissioned the artist to make a sculpture in remembrance of the curator.
博物館委任這名藝術家製作一座雕像紀念該館長。
Professor Wright didn’t like anyone referring to his artificial arm.
萊特教授不喜歡任何人提到他的義肢。
I referred to the dictionary for a definition.
我查字典找一個字的定義。
I consulted the dictionary for a definition.
我查字典找一個字的定義。
It took me months to distinguish my girlfriend's voice from her sister’s on the telephone.
我花了好幾個月才能在電話上分辨出我女友和她姊姊的聲音。
Dolly distinguished herself by her profound scholarship.
多莉因學術造詣很深而揚名。
It is sometimes hard to distinguish between fact and opinion.
有時候很難分辨事實與意見。
The riot that took place over the weekend stemmed from some immigration controversies.
週末的暴動起因於某些有爭議性的移民問題。
Many English words are derived from Latin words.
許多英文字都源自於拉丁字。
Do not refer to Mandy as your girlfriend. She's your ex-girlfriend now.
別稱曼蒂為女友。她現在是你的前女友。
The lullaby reminds me of my childhood.
這首搖籃曲使我想起我的童年。
Because of his long hair, I mistook the boy for a girl.
因為那男生留長髮,所以我把他誤認成女生。
I often mix up Amber and Amy since they are twins who look alike.
我常搞混安柏和艾咪,因為她們是長得很像的雙胞胎。