慣用語
P = Paul M = Mitch
P: I thought you were going away to Hawaii.
M: I had planned to, but I had to put my vacation on hold.
P: What happened?
M: Linda gave me a new account to work on. Because of it, I’m really busy.
P: That stinks. But, look on the bright side.
M: Is there one?
P: At least you don’t have to worry about getting sunburned.
M: But I’m getting depressed!
put something on hold
hold 在此作名詞,指「延遲」,put something on hold 就是指「暫緩某事」。
• We put the project on hold because of a budget crunch.
由於預算吃緊,我們暫時擱置該專案。
put someone on hold 則是電話用語中的「請稍候」。
• The secretary put me on hold when I called Mr. Lee’s office.
我打電話到李先生的辦公室,祕書讓我在線上稍候。
I'd like to open a savings account at the bank.
我想在銀行開一個儲蓄帳戶。
I read an account of the plane crash in the newspaper.
我在報紙上讀到一篇有關墜機事件的報導。
Larry failed the exam on account of laziness.
賴瑞因懶惰而沒通過考試。
Before asking Bob to handle this huge mission, you should take his physical condition into account.
你要鮑伯處理此一艱鉅的任務之前,應要先考慮他的身體狀況。
Hard work accounts for Daisy's success.
努力是黛西成功的原因。
Before using the service, you need to set up an account.
在使用這項服務之前,你需要建立帳號。
You stink! You need to take a bath right away.
你好臭!你得馬上去洗澡。
Barry's mother was not ready for the stink that emerged when she opened her son’s gym bag.
貝瑞的媽媽打開她兒子的運動背包時,沒有料到會有一股惡臭從中散發出來。
As a vegetarian, Linda was very sensitive to the stink of cooked meat in the steakhouse.
琳達是一位素食者,她對牛排餐廳散發出煮熟的肉臭味很敏感。
We enjoyed the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon.
我們欣賞著大峽谷的自然美景。
It’s natural for you to feel upset in this situation.
你在這種情況下會感到不開心是很自然的。
Try to relax and be natural. Grandma doesn’t know the truth yet.
試著放鬆一點並保持自然。奶奶還不知道真相。
The actor has a natural way of speaking on stage.
這位演員在臺上的說話方式自然不做作。
We should take care of the matter now.
我們現在就應處理這件事情。
What's the matter with Leo?
里歐發生什麼麻煩了嗎?
What’s the problem with Leo?
里歐發生什麼麻煩了嗎?
What’s wrong with Leo?
里歐發生什麼麻煩了嗎?
Belle isn't my girlfriend. As a matter of fact, she is my wife.
貝兒不是我女朋友。事實上,她是我老婆。
It doesn't matter when he'll come.
他何時來並不重要。
Look on the bright side. At least, you learned a lesson.
看看事情的光明面啊。至少你學到了一課。
In that case, I have nothing else to say.
那樣的話,我沒有其他要說的了。