好書俱樂部
R.J. Palacio was inspired to write Wonder after she had an experience involving a girl with a facial deformity like Auggie’s. She was with her young son, who began to cry after seeing the girl’s face. Worried that her son would create a scene, she quickly removed him from the area. Palacio realized later that, even though she was trying to be helpful, her actions could have hurt the young girl’s feelings even more.
After the incident, Palacio heard a song called “Wonder” by Natalie Merchant, which inspired her to begin writing the novel. The song is also about a child born with a deformity caused by a genetic condition. The song offers the hope that such children will surprise others and lead happy lives full of wonder.
It’s hard for me to adapt myself to city life.
我很不適應都市生活。
It’s hard for me to get accustomed to city life.
我很不適應都市生活。
It’s hard for me to adjust to city life.
我很不適應都市生活。
It took the new employee about a month to adapt to the new environment.
這名新進員工花了一個月左右的時間去適應新環境。
The blockbuster movie was adapted from an original novel.
這部賣座鉅片改編自一本原創小說。
You should report the loss of your luggage to the police.
你遺失了行李應該要去報警才是。
Mr. Wang’s death was a great loss to our company.
王先生去世是我們公司的一大損失。
Toby has been very down since the loss of his pet dog.
托比自從愛犬過世後,心情就一直很沮喪。
I’m at a loss as to what I should do.
我很迷惘,不知該怎麼做。
My mom won't punish me in public because she doesn't want to create a scene.
我媽不會在公開場合處罰我,因為她不想當眾丟人現眼。
To lead a happy life, you should strike a balance between work and play.
你若想生活愉快,就應在工作及遊樂之間保持平衡。