



1. against 對抗,反對
例: I'll never do anything against my conscience.
(我絕不會做任何違反我良心的事。)
Against everyone's advice, John went swimming alone.
(約翰不顧大家的勸告,仍然獨自去游泳。)
2. besides 除了……之外(尚……)
= in addition to...
例: Besides English, Peter speaks French and Spanish.
= In addition to English, Peter speaks French and Spanish.
(除了英語外,彼得還會說法語及西班牙語。)
3. beside 在……旁邊(= by)
例: Don't stand beside / by the door when the train is moving.
(火車行駛時不要站在車門邊。)
4. except 除了……之外(與 every、any、no、all 等含蓋性完全的形容詞並用)
例: All the boys love singing except Peter.
(除了彼得外,所有的男孩都喜歡唱歌。)
No one trusts David except Tom.
(除了湯姆外,誰都不相信大衛。)
I like every kind of music except rap.
(除了饒舌歌外,每一種音樂我都喜歡。)
Mary has no interest in anything except singing.
(瑪麗除了唱歌外,對啥都沒興趣。)注意 :
以上各句中的 except 均可被 but 取代,即:
All the boys loves singing but Peter.
No one trusts David but Tom.
I like every kind of music but rap.
Mary has no interest in anything but singing.
5. among 在(三者以上)之中
例: Among the four students, John is the best.
= Of the four students, John is the best.
(這四個學生中,約翰是最棒的一個。)注意 :
表『在兩者之中』只可使用 of。
例: Among the two students, John is the better. (×)
→ Of the two students, John is the better. (○)
(這兩個學生中,約翰比較棒。)
If you keep on telling lies, no one will trust you.
如果你繼續撒謊,沒人會相信你。
I would trust Nathan with my life.
我可把我的性命交給納森。
Do you trust in God?
你信任主嗎?
Since Sam has lied to me, I have no trust in him.
因為山姆對我說過謊,我一點也不相信他。
Our relations with this country are based on mutual trust.
我們與這國家的關係是建立在互信的基礎上。
It was the lack of trust that broke up Ken and Juliet’s marriage.
正是因為缺乏信任而使肯和茱麗葉的婚姻破裂了。
The novel interested me a lot. I want to read it again.
我對那本小說很感興趣。我想要再讀一遍。
I have no interest in music. I love dancing.
我對音樂沒興趣,我喜歡跳舞。
Playing computer games is Henry's main interest.
亨利最主要的嗜好是玩電腦遊戲。
Despite our best efforts, we couldn’t save the dying man.
儘管我們盡了最大的努力,還是無法挽救那位垂死的人。
In spite of our best efforts, we couldn’t save the dying man.
儘管我們盡了最大的努力,還是無法挽救那位垂死的人。
Notwithstanding our best efforts, we couldn’t save the dying man.
儘管我們盡了最大的努力,還是無法挽救那位垂死的人。
We failed to win the tug-of-war despite the fact that we had tried our best.
儘管我們盡了最大的努力,還是無法贏得這場拔河比賽。
Tomorrow is my best friend’s birthday.
明天是我最要好的朋友的生日。
Don’t worry about tomorrow―just live in the moment.
不用擔心未來 — 只管活在當下。
Sam is eating that meal like there is no tomorrow.
山姆好像沒有明天似地狼吞虎嚥吃那頓飯。
The weather forecast said the typhoon would hit the island tomorrow.
氣象預報說明天颱風會侵襲本島。
Don’t blame me for your misery.
不要把你的痛苦怪罪到我身上。
Don’t blame your misery on me.
不要把你的痛苦怪罪到我身上。
The authorities concerned believe that more than one person is to blame for the fire.
有關當局認為要為這場火災負責的人不只 1 個。
Jason felt upset to get the blame for the mistake.
傑森因為那個錯誤而被責備覺得很難過。
As soon as Molly left the room, her baby cried.
茉莉一離開房間,她的小寶寶就哭了。
I left my cellphone in the office.
我把手機留在辦公室裡了。
Ian left the door open, so that I could come in.
伊恩讓門開著,這樣我才能進來。
John left for Hong Kong yesterday.
約翰昨天動身前往香港。
I'll take leave to attend my sister's wedding.
我會請假去參加妹妹的婚禮。
We enjoyed the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon.
我們欣賞著大峽谷的自然美景。
It’s natural for you to feel upset in this situation.
你在這種情況下會感到不開心是很自然的。
Try to relax and be natural. Grandma doesn’t know the truth yet.
試著放鬆一點並保持自然。奶奶還不知道真相。
The actor has a natural way of speaking on stage.
這位演員在臺上的說話方式自然不做作。
Greg took a brief look at the newspaper before going to work.
葛瑞格在上班前迅速瀏覽了一下報紙。
The teacher asked us to write a brief summary of this article.
老師要求我們寫這篇文章的簡短摘要。
I know we’re all in a hurry, so I’ll be brief.
我知道我們的時間很趕,所以我會長話短說。
There’s only a four-paragraph news brief on the event in the newspaper.
這份報紙上關於那事件的新聞摘要只有 4 段。
In brief, it’s a job worth doing.
簡言之,這份工作值得做。
The commander briefed those soldiers on the nature of their mission.
指揮官向那些士兵就此次任務的性質做了簡單的說明。
In spite of his dad’s warning, Paul went fishing alone.
儘管他爸爸提出警告,保羅還是獨自一個人釣魚去。
In spite of our best efforts, we couldn’t save the dying man.
儘管我們盡了最大的努力,還是無法挽救那位垂死的人。
Rachel bought an alarm clock to help her wake up early.
瑞秋買了一個鬧鐘來幫助她早起。
Kayla will go on vacation next week.
凱拉下星期會去度假。
The factory workers went on strike for better pay and working conditions.
該工廠工人罷工,要求加薪及改善工作環境。
