慣用語
H = Howard L = Linda
H: Why are you snapping at everyone today?
L: I’m under a lot of pressure.
H: Aren’t we all?
L: Yeah, but the big cheese from our European division is coming in today.
H: Really? I had no idea. Is there anything I can do?
L: Just lie low for the day. I’ll handle everything.
H: OK. If you need me, I’m just a phone call away.

cheese 指「乳酪」,關於 big cheese 的起源有許多不同說法,其中一種認為,乳酪在過去是一種奢侈品,象徵財富與地位,只有富裕階層才負擔得起;此外,乳酪在許多菜餚中扮演重要的角色,且與財富、地位和品味密切相關,因此 big cheese 被引申為社會或組織中的「大人物」或「身居要位的人」。
• A big cheese is coming back to take over the company after the president retires.
總裁退休後,將有一位重要人物會回來接管公司。
It's really impolite for you to snap your fingers at a waiter.
對服務生彈指是件很沒禮貌的事。
During our visit to the Eiffel Tower, Lucy snapped over 100 pictures.
我們去參觀艾菲爾鐵塔時,露西猛拍了一百多張相片。
There was a loud snap and the tree branch hit the ground.
那根樹枝啪擦一聲斷掉,然後掉落到地上。
We took a few snaps of the happy couple.
我們替那對開心的夫婦拍了幾張照片。
We can make a broad division of this artist’s works into“ realistic” and“ impressionistic.”
我們可以把這位藝術家的作品大致分為『寫實』和『印象派』。
Those strong arguments have resulted in divisions in the team.
那些激烈的爭辯已造成了團隊分裂。
My little brother learned division in his math class today.
我弟弟今天數學課學了除法。
Who is in charge of this division?
誰負責這個部門?
Some people do very well under pressure.
有些人在壓力下會表現得非常好。
We can finish the job quicker if we all pitch in.
如果我們每個人都出一份力,就能早點完成工作。
You might have done your best, but that's just not enough.
你或許已經盡力了,但就是還不夠。
Whatever I do, I stick to my principles.
不管做什麼事,我都會緊守原則。