新聞集錦
Mysterious Poetry for the People Nightstand in San Francisco’s Parks
For people in San Francisco’s parks, it’s strange to see a nightstand with a sign that reads: “Take a poem. Leave a poem.” The nightstand has received more than 100 poems since its debut. Amanda Barrows, an amateur poet and park ranger, came up with the idea and has been overwhelmed by the support.
Barrows had an assignment to bring poetry to the community. Barrows soon realized she could combine the worlds of her two favorite things─parks and poetry. A friend gave her a used nightstand, and she put paper and pens on one side of its drawer and a pile of poems that people could take on the other. She then put it out for four days in one park before moving it to a new location. Soon people were writing original poems or copying down their favorites. With so many poems left and taken, the public nightstand has made its mark.
We overwhelmed the enemy with superior weapons.
我們用精良的武器大敗敵軍。
Helena was overwhelmed by grief when her puppy died in an accident.
海蓮娜的小狗狗意外喪生之後,她傷心極了。
Grief overwhelmed Helena when her puppy died in an accident.
海蓮娜的小狗狗意外喪生之後,她傷心極了。
The small village was soon overwhelmed by the flood; fortunately, all the local people were evacuated in advance.
小村子很快就被洪水淹沒;幸運的是當地民眾已事先被撤離。
We are going to Tokyo on a special assignment for our magazine.
我們將為我們的雜誌到東京出一趟特別任務。
My first assignment in the company was to serve my colleagues coffee.
我在公司的第一項工作就是替我的同事們倒咖啡。
Please complete your assignment before our next class.
請在下次上課前完成指定的作業。
Our English teacher gives us more reading assignments than we can handle.
我們英文老師交給我們的閱讀作業太多使我們吃不消。
Joe has to come up with a plan for financing his new business.
阿喬必須想出一個計畫為他的新事業籌措資金。
The teacher asked the students to copy down the sentences written on the blackboard.
老師要求學生把寫在黑板上的句子抄寫下來。