生活中其實有許多慣用語的使用,你可能有過這種經驗,明明英文底子沒有很差,一旦跟外國人聊天或是看國外影集中的對話就是聽不太懂。對一個非英文為母語的人來說,因俚語或慣用語這種學校比較少教,故會對他們有點陌生,畢竟生活中真實的英文對話不像課本那麼制式~
= be unable to decide on something
‧ sit on the fence 中立 (不選邊站)
Ex: I'm still on the fence about which school I should go to.(我仍無法做決定我應該要去哪間學校。)
= to take control of your emotions
Ex: I know you are upset now. Stop crying and pull yourself together. (我知道你現在很難過。別哭了,振作點! )
= be afraid of doing something that you’ve planned to do
cold除了指「冷」之外,也有「洩氣的;掃興」之意,而cold feet也用來指「害怕;膽怯」而臨陣退縮,並不是指「腳冷」喔!
Ex: I wanted to go bungee jumping last week, but I got cold feet. (我上週想去玩高空彈跳,但我嚇到退縮了。)
= to be overwhelmed with something
Ex: This week will be super hectic as I have a lot on my plate. (我這星期會炸忙,因為我有超多事要處理。)
= to betray someone for one's own personal gain
Ex: My colleague threw me under the bus in order to gain the opportunity for promotion. (為了得到升遷機會,我同事將我推下水)
= not feeling good = feel sick
Ex: Daisy is feeling a little under the weather, so she can’t come to work today. (黛西有點不舒服,所以他今天不會來上班。)
= do something without thinking while in an intense emotional state
Ex: I'm so sorry that I said those things in the heat of the moment; they were rude. (我感到很抱歉我一時之氣說出那些無禮的話。)
Ex: It’s always easier said than done. Show me some results instead of just talking about them. (說總比做來得容易,讓我看看你的成果而不是只是一直光用說的。)
-
以上幫大家整理出英文學習者必須知道的8句英文慣用語,讓你說起英文更加道地,聽起來既不死板也不制式!
喜歡這篇文章嗎? 歡迎收藏、踴躍幫我們分享出去
想看更多這類型文章嗎?現在就入會,每週一將收到免費的電子報喔!
入會及綁定LINE再享100元折價券 →
I'm still on the fence about which school I should go to.
我仍無法做決定我應該要去哪間學校。
I know you are upset now. Stop crying and pull yourself together.
我知道你現在很難過。別哭了,振作點!
I wanted to go bungee jumping last week, but I got cold feet.
我上週想去玩高空彈跳,但我嚇到退縮了。
This week will be super hectic as I have a lot on my plate.
我這星期會炸忙,因為我有超多事要處理。
My colleague threw me under the bus in order to gain the opportunity for promotion.
為了得到升遷機會,我同事將我推下水。
The jet lag made me feel under the weather for several days.
時差感讓我不舒服了好幾天。
I'm so sorry that I said those things in the heat of the moment; they were rude.
我感到很抱歉我一時之氣說出那些無禮的話。
It's always easier said than done. Show me some results instead of just talking about them.
說總比做來得容易,讓我看看你的成果而不是只是一直光用說的。